I’m about to buy myself a small server for home. I want it to do the following:
- manage profiles and permissions for three users
- run Subversion and Trac for my dev projects
- provide a development environment(s) for the same projects
- perform backups of data from other machines and itself, probably
- manage BitTorrent activity
- manage all our multimedia
- other stuff…
I’m thinking of using VMWare for parts of this, such as the dev server. Other parts will obviously be native. Something like this setup at HowToForge would be ideal for the dev and BitTorrent stuff.
So, in terms of hardware and software, what do you folks recommend? Feedback appreciated.