Later this year, Alli, Hannah and I are travelling to the southwest USA for a family holiday. We’re doing the whole Disneyland/Universal bit first and then joining a 15-day coach tour through Southern California, Arizona, Utah and Nevada. It will be Hannah’s first overseas trip. Obviously, I’ll be blogging the experience, but what I really want to do is map it and annotate the maps.
There are a bunch of online trip planning/itinerary planning sites like itripr and Travellerspoint, but they don’t really seem to do what I want. Google’s My Maps feature seems to do most of what I want, but doesn’t include point-to-point routes as far as I can figure out.
What I want to do is have:
- maps embeddable in my blog (Google, tick)
- waypoints for places visited with annotation capability (Google, tick)
- markers for hotels stayed at with annotation capability (Google, tick)
- links to photos on Flickr (not natively in Google, but doable, half a tick)
- route marking for the bits where we’re driving or on the coach tour (Google, but not with MyMaps, no tick)
Is anyone out there aware of a mashup that will do all of this? Google My Maps seems to come really close, but the route marking is a key function I want. Let me know if you know of anything or whether I’ve missed seeing functionality somewhere.